Saturday 31 May 2008

Of Squeaky Shoes and Perfume Baths

This entry is by now several days late, considering what its subject is going to be. You can blame that on my own laziness and the fact that I've been distracted by the super special awesome shiny win that is Ouran High School Host Club - an anime series that I didn't think I would like quite as much as I apparently do. Having watched approximately twenty episodes in two or three days, all that is left to do now is read the manga; I've just been informed that a new chapter has been released, meaning I must read in the region of 61 chapters PDQ(*). A challenge if ever there was one!

Anyway, back to the point of this entry. I have now pretty much completed my first year of university. I say 'pretty much' as I still need to collect two assignments once they have been marked. It's not the fault of the tutors who are meant to be marking them that it's taking so long, but I can't help but wonder if they will be done by the time I go home.

My second and final exam was on Wednesday (gotta love the fact that we only have the two exams). As readers will probably remember, my entry following my first exam was a bit all over the place; I didn't quite know what to do with myself. Luckily this wasn't the case this time, as once the exam had finished I exited the building to find my group of friends who had finished earlier were waiting for us slowpokes. We then stood around and talked for a while before heading off in our mostly seperate direction, i.e. a couple of people went home, the rest of us went to Pizza Hut to celebrate! Yum ^_^

The exam itself didn't go quite as well as last week's Poetry one, I don't think. I certainly found it more difficult to start and my flow of writing wasn't as good, but I still had plenty (enough?) to say. Luckily Saiyu and I had had another revision evening the night before (which as you can see from her journal, consisted mostly of us comparing The War of the Worlds to various animes. While this may seem pointless to others, it was actually quite useful in helping us keep the facts in our heads. To each their own~) and we'd happened to discuss some of the themes we were meant to be writing about in the exam. The only one I had particular difficulties with, everyone else had been miffed by too, I was pleased to find out afterwards.

Also unlike last week, I was writing for mostly the whole two hours. The rule of exams is apparently that no one can leave in the first hour of it starting, and no one can leave in the last 15 minutes. Last week I was particularly unimpressed as I finished with 17 minutes to spare, however by the time the invidulator had checked that I'd filled in everything correctly and I'd glued down the anonymity flap, the main invidulator was informing us that we were down to the last 15 minutes and no one could leave until the very end. Brilliant. I decided to get my head down on the desk for some z's, which resulted in a lady coming up and asking me if I was okay, worried that I'd passed out or something.

This week's, I finished writing with about 3 minutes to spare, so I took my time checking I'd filled in everything I was supposed to. This still meant I had a minute and a half to waste, which in real life may not seem a big deal. In exam-time however, it feels more like hours. And have you noticed that when it gets to the finishing time, in this case 11am, the invidulators take forever in announcing the end of the exam? I could see that all the clocks read 11am and I'm sure everyone else could too, but the invidulator insisted on watched the clock for a while. Like he'd actually checked the position of the second hand when he'd started the exam. GAH.

And another thing: there's always an invidulator with squeaky shoes. In this case, one man had had the genius idea of wearing trainers in a gym hall. A++ And the females always, without fail, decide to bathe themselves in perfume the morning before the exam. Why!? Seriously, if all you're doing is wandering up and down an exam hall making sure people aren't cheating and answering any questions, it is not necessary to wear that much perfume.

Anyway that should probably conclude this entry. I have been monopolising Saiyu's laptop for I'm not sure how long now (long entry is long!) plus I'm getting pins and needles in my foot ¬_¬

(*)Pretty Damn Quickly

2 comments:

Saiyu said...

not only do they bathe in perfume, but they also lean stupidly close to you, giving you headache and losing your concentration >.<

Detective KimE said...

I know they are meant to check for cheating but the whole thing is annoying. You'd think that by this point in time (2008) they would have silent robots to do their job. That would be cool.