Thursday 8 May 2008

Music~ makes the people~ come together~

So I was thinking about identity last night while I was trying (and failing, once again) to fall asleep. As you do. And I realised that a person's taste in music seems to be a good way of judging their identity, their personality. I personally hate it when people ask me, "so, what sort of music do you like?" because I don't like to be judged on something like that. However I know that it's pretty likely I will be judged, because my favourite bands? Aren't exactly the most popular anymore.

I always jokingly acknowledge that my taste in music is awful before listing my favourite bands. But why should I feel I have to put myself down, to justify myself? Just because the music I like is different to what other people like or is unusual, doesn't necessarily mean I have rubbish taste. In fact my favourite band was one of the most successful groups of the nineties; their concerts would be sold out within minutes of tickets going on sale and their fans were countless. But because their music is sappy and cheesy, not to mention they are the dreaded boyband (oh noes!), I am shunned for liking them.

But anyway, the point of this entry was not to rant about the unfairness of liking particular music. I had an idea and thought it would be pretty fun. I guess it could even become a meme, maybe.

Choose up to 5 of your favourite bands, then write down the first song of theirs that you heard, and why it made you like the band.

1)


This probably wasn't the first song of theirs that I heard, as my cousin (who is 6 years older then me) became a BSB fan pretty much as soon as they started, and this song is actually from their second album. However it's this song that I have the most memories of, because said cousin also had a video, The Making of ‘Everybody’, which I have fond memories of watching. I loved that video ^^ But anyway, for obvious reasons, everyone links this song to BSB, making it one of their best songs. Not to mention the dance they do at the end of the video was fun to learn :3

2)


My friend from near Sheffield both knows and loves this band, and showed me this song, as it was one of her favourites. I can see why. I heard this song and absolutely loved it (although the video they have since released for it is a bit…odd). I thought the tune was interesting and catchy, and the lyrics quite thought-provoking, which is unusual as usually I don’t give much thought to song lyrics. This was my favourite song for a long time, although having heard a lot of Dead Like Harry’s other stuff, I think ‘Watching Your Eyes’ is actually my favourite, with ‘Shallow Grave’ and ‘Lake Geneva’ coming close second.

3)


I first heard this song on an awesome, awesome, awesome AMV for Fullmetal Alchemist, although I think said video has long since been removed from YouTube, unfortunately. The way the maker of the video had fit clips to the music was simply amazing, it just worked so well. The theme of the song and video just hit a chord with me, and I found myself really wanting the song. However this was before I started getting into bands such as Nightwish or Within Temptation, so I’d never heard of them. It took me a long time to even work out what the song was called, as the video maker hadn’t included many useful tags outside of “fma”, however when I showed a friend the video she recognised the song, and I was able to download it. Since then, I bought all of Nightwish’s albums that I could find; Tarja’s voice is simply beautiful and the band’s music is amazing and fun to listen to.

4)


My best friend showed me this song after saying that she could imagine some characters from a film we both like singing it; she was shocked and appalled when I said I hadn’t heard the song, or any of My Chemical Romance’s stuff, so quickly sent me the song. Again, I really liked the music, and was quite touched by the lyrics: “well mother look what the war did to my legs and to my tongue / You should’ve raised a baby girl / I should’ve been a better son”. Pleased that I liked the song so much, my friend sent me a load of their other music, all of which I really like listening to. As with DLH, I don’t think ‘Mama’ is my favourite anymore, although I don’t think I have a specific favourite. I love all of the album “Welcome to the Black Parade”, as well as the song ‘I’m Not Okay (I Promise)”, but if someone asked me, I couldn’t say which one in particular I prefer over the others.

5)


Again, this wasn’t actually the first song of the band’s that I heard; a friend of mine had become obsessed with the film The Crow and after doing a search, discovered the song ‘Brandon Lee’. She was impressed with the song and how unusual the lead singer’s voice was, so she showed me. To be honest, I wasn’t that impressed. I thought his voice was strange as it was so low, and I wasn’t that wowed by the song. A few days later however, she showed me ‘The Lost Boys’ and for some reason I can’t explain, I just fell in love with the song. What makes people like particular songs, anyway? I certainly can never explain my reasons, I just do. Anyway I later realised this song was also based on the film with the same name starring Kiefer Sutherland) which I had seen and liked, which just made me like the song even more. Once I’d got used to Jyrki’s voice from listening to this song so much, I eventually realised that I really liked their music.

No comments: