Thursday 13 March 2008

Root of all Evil

Money changes everything. The self-righteous bastards in life will tell you otherwise. They'll say that you don't have to be rich to lead a good life; you just need the love of your family and friends. As long as you have a roof over your head everything's fine. Ha. What do they know? They could never hope to understand what it's like, trying to feed a family of six with twenty dollars a week. My mom doesn't have any qualifications, so she can't get a well-paid job.

So when her latest boyfriend suggested robbing a convenience store to get some money, I didn't protest. I was young, stupid...what did I care about right and wrong, when for so many years I'd gone without so much?

It was meant to be a fool-proof plan. Dave had gotten us plain jump-suits, easy to dispose of and not the sort of outfit that witnesses would remember. I wasn't too happy about the gun though...I hated having to hold it.

...I didn't mean to shoot that woman. I know, that's what they all say, but I really didn't. She startled me...something as natural and ordinary as a sneeze turned me into a killer.

&&&

The above is a short-short story I had to write for uni ^^

1 comment:

Detective KimE said...

Everyone's stories have turned really evil. Death by sneezing. It's evil i like it. I also know about the whole six kids-low income thing. I am the oldest of six. It's a hard knock life.