Tuesday 1 July 2008

lolcat Tuesday 01

Looking through my many files on my hard drive, I discovered that I have a lot of cat macros (if you are not familiar with this term, don't worry, you soon will be :3 ) so I have decided that Tuesdays will be renamed: lolcat Tuesday, i.e. every Tuesday I will upload one of the macros I have saved and for that day my blog entry will relate in some way to the image. It might be relevant to something that's happened to me in real life, it might just be me pondering something; we shall see!



Once term had finished and I came home for the summer, I decided it was time to search for a job. Luckily my mum had been into our local Co Op and discovered that they were hiring, so the day after I returned from uni I had to go in to get an application form. Two days later they called me to say I had an interview, and a few days after that I got another call saying I'd got the job and just had to wait for them to arrange a date for my training. \o/ This meant that I wouldn't have to fall back on my last resort: calling my cousin who is the manager of our nearest MacDonalds and askign him to get me an interview there. I was so desperate for a job this summer that if I didn't have any luck anywhere else, I was going to try and apply at good ol' Maccy D's, despite really not wanting to work there. Luckily I was saved from that, and the phrase "you want fries with that?" will continue to be uttered only in mockery of others. :D

Above-mentioned training was last Wednesday in a town that is a fair distance away, and lasted about 4 hours. It was probably the easiest training ever; it involved me sitting on my butt and watching a few videos, and then doing some quizzes to make sure I'd been paying attention to said videos. Mostly it was all just common sense stuff. After that I travelled back to my village to discuss what hours I would be given, and ended up also doing an hour's worth of till training. This was what I was most scared about. I'd been told various times that I would pick it up with no difficulty, particularly because "the younger ones find it easier that older people do". As I am a paranoid spaz though, I was convinced I wouldn't pick it up at all and would mess everything up. Thankfully this was not the case, and now after two shifts I can safely say I am confident with what I'm doing. Well, apart from when people ask for cigarettes. Speaking of, I found an an interesting article yesterday which says that more than 400,000 people have quit smoking because of the ban that was introduced a year ago today. Clearly not one of this 400,000 is any of the villagers from where I live, as about 90% of people who shop in our Co Op want a packet of cigarettes. Anyway, I never realised just how many different types there are, and it can get quite confusing trying to find the ones people are asking for. I've found that it's getting easier, the more I work there though.

Last night I was called in to do some over time. I didn't mind this at all, as it just means I'll get more money to save ready for 2nd year of uni (speaking of which, it's roughly fifteen minutes until I can check my results, ahhhh!). I didn't realise, however, that it would involve about three hours of pulling stock forward. I wasn't sure what this meant at first, but soon discovered that it was fairly self explanatory. I had to go up and down the aisles, bring the various items to the front of their respective shelves and just generally make it look tidy. For three hours. It was simply thrilling.

1 comment:

Detective KimE said...

Congratulations on the job. If I don't get a job back here at home, I will at least try with desperation to get one in Leicester.